Sunday, May 25, 2014

Bonne Fete Maman


Today is Mother’s Day in France and I feel so blessed to celebrate this special day twice this month. I feel such gratitude for my own mother. My mother is such a firm example of strength and unconditional love. She has always been the greatest sounding board anytime I am facing a problem. She is funny and able to handle any challenge with humor as the perfect tool. She can diffuse any situation by saying the right thing, or making the right joke. My mom is a peacemaker, but also stands up for herself. I am so blessed to have her as my mother. Many people are concerned with saying or doing things that make them resemble their mothers, but it is my goal to turn out like her. She is my best friend.


I am also blessed with a astonishing Mother-in-law. She has the talent of making everyone feel comfortable and at ease around her. She focuses on the needs of others and does all she can to meet those needs. I remember once on a day trip, we were walking back to the car in the rain and my mother-in-law simply handed her umbrella to a homeless man who was doing his best to stay dry. Her example of charity and selflessness is one in which I will always look up to.  



In the last few years, the term motherhood has become so very multidimensional for me.  As I became a mother 2 short years ago, and as I have seen many of my dear friends make the transition, I am amazed by the unappreciated strength it takes. Those who don’t understand the challenges tend to belittle the overwhelming responsibility and challenges that are placed on our shoulders. I have dear friends that have overcome the loss of a baby and continued on. I have friends who have fought infertility and difficult pregnancies to bring their children into this world. I have friends who do the seemingly impossible by raising twins, or multiple children at a time. I have friends who have been sick, diagnosed with serious diseases or undergone surgeries while still having young children to take care of while they are recovering. I have friends who have difficult children that make even the simplest tasks seem insurmountable.  I have friends who do the child rearing on their own while their husbands are attending school, residency, work, or are not in the picture. Some of my dear friends maintain a job in addition to the full time job of mother. I have dear friends who are not mothers, but lovingly give their time and energy to help raise our children. You women are such firm examples of strength. You remind me that we can do it. We can accomplish anything. We need to stick together and lift each other up.

No comments:

Post a Comment